• Page:

TOPIC: Skills or Silicon?

Skills or Silicon? 9 years 9 months ago #765

• JAMES C. DECK
  • JAMES C. DECK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Recently, R/C aircraft have appeared on the scene with electronic aids (gyros) to aid the new pilot. As LSF has two programs (SAP &EASP) to increase participants' skills, should sailplanes equipped with these pilot's aids be allowed in pursuit of LSF Levels? Does the use of these aids dilute the achievements of those who achieved a Level without them?
This topic is open to comments and questions.

Skills or Silicon? 9 years 9 months ago #767

• JOSEPH C. HAYES
No, they should not be allowed.

Joe

Skills or Silicon? 9 years 9 months ago #768

• INGO DONASCH
There have been lots of discussions about this over the last couple of month. The current consent in FAI contests is that they are considered illegal!
I personnally think they should not be used, but here are my experiences with gyros in sailplanes:
pros:
- rudder gyro keeps the tail straight when shooting a crosswind landing.
- aileron gyros are very helpful to keep the plane level when landing in a strong rotor.
cons:
- any gyro action prevents the pilot from reading air, you'll miss thermals, it slows you down on the slope.
- a pitch gyro maintains the planes attitude, but what you really want is to keep your airspeed constant!

I will continue using them in PSS to help with the landings but banned them from all the sailplanes (E or winch).
ingo

Skills or Silicon? 9 years 9 months ago #776

• RYAN WOEBKENBERG
Just playing devil's advocate here, the FAI rules also disallow varios/telemetry but we allow that.

Ryan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds