• Page:

TOPIC: 2014 NATS

2014 NATS 10 years 5 months ago #104

• JAMES C. DECK
  • JAMES C. DECK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Now that the dates and schedule for the 2014 LSF/AMA NATS are set, this thread is for comments and/or questions regarding the NATS.

2014 NATS 10 years 5 months ago #267

• RAY HAYES
Jim Deck, will there be any of the classes that will allow E-powered Sailplanes to launch with the winch launch Sailplanes ??

Ray
Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com

2014 NATS 10 years 4 months ago #268

• JAMES C. DECK
  • JAMES C. DECK's Avatar Topic Author
There are no plans, public, secret, or otherwise to mix winched-launched and ALES-equipped sailplanes on the NATS flight line during any of the 2014 events. The schedule for the 2014 NATS may be found on the LSF web site,
IF the LSF ESAP is approved, it's my guess that some clubs may experiment with direct competition between "string-launched" and ALES equipped sailplanes. That may lead to some interesting results - and probably a lot of discussion.
This year, at the Southwest Classic in Arizona, both winched-launched and ALES-equipped sailplanes were launched from the same flight line but they were not competing directly with each other. The ALES ships had to launch in the same direction and continue on that course for a specified distance to ensure safety. To the best of my knowledge, there were no accidents or incidents. I was there for a day and didn't observe a significant difference in the launch heights achieved by either method. I timed for a couple of ALES pilots and they didn't feel that the directional requirements hampered their flying.

2014 NATS 10 years 1 month ago #731

• KEVIN GILLETTE
I am planing on going to the NATS this year and wondering how many sailplane Pilots use the RV parking and stay a the site?

Kevin.

2014 NATS 10 years 1 month ago #733

• ROB GLOVER
There are usually a few soaring campers in the tent area, the RV guys generally have a couple as well. It's a pretty nice camp site all in all.

2014 NATS 10 years 1 month ago #737

• WAYNE NORRIE

kgflyer wrote: I am planing on going to the NATS this year and wondering how many sailplane Pilots use the RV parking and stay a the site?

Kevin.

Hello Kevin,

I attended the NATS last year and stayed at the primitive campground. I went over to the RV area each evening and during my stay there, there were probably 15 RV/campers there. From what I was told the turnout for last years NATS was low due to when it was held so I would guess that on an average year there would be at least that many if not more.

Wayne
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds